Keep Your Doctor. Keep Your Benefits.
During the pandemic, Medi-Cal automatically renewed your coverage. Now that things are getting back to normal, you
will need to renew your coverage yourself. Renewal Packets will be sent via mail by your local county.
Have Questions about Medi-Cal Renewal?
Call Unicare Medi-Cal Renewal Support Line at 909.988.2555>.
Renewing is easy. Get started today by following these three easy steps for coverage renewal.
Step 1: Update your contact information with the Medi-Cal office. Make sure they have your correct address, phone number, and email.
Step 2: Look for the yellow envelope with your renewal packet.
Step 3: Complete your Medi-Cal renewal form and submit right away.
Medi-Cal will never ask you for financial information, nor require payment in the application or renewal process.
1. Update Your Contact Information
Step 1: Set up a BenefitsCal.com account. Step 2: Link your Medi-Cal information to your BenefitsCal account. Step 3: Update your information.
2. Renew Your Medi-Cal Online
Renew your Medi-Cal coverage on BenefitsCal.com. Make sure to have a BenefitsCal account created, and also linked your Medi-Cal information to your BenefitsCal account.
Please make a note of the following documents, as they may be required during the renewal process:
– Renewal Packet (Yellow Envelope)
– Proof of California Residency (Driver’s License, California ID Card, or current letter mailed to your address)
– Resident Alien Registration Cards or other residency documents (if not a U.S. citizen)
– If naturalized: Citizen Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport
– Paycheck Stubs (current or prior months) or income tax return
For more extensive list of the documents that may be accepted, please view the following guidance.
3. Medi-Cal Renewal Information and FAQs
Q: What is happening?
A: Medi-Cal is resuming annual renewal (redeterminations).
– Coverage is no longer provided automatically due to the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
– Renewal deadlines vary, based on when you first received coverage.
Q: What is the Medi-Cal annual renewal/redetermination process?
A: – A review of Medi-Cal annual renewal/redetermination process.
– Determines continued eligibility for Medi-Cal benefits.
Q: How do I know when my renewal is due?
A: – Annual renewal month is typically 12 months after approval date. E.g. if you have received coverage in June of 2022, you will need to renew by the end of June 2023.
– A renewal packet will be sent 60 days before it is due.
– Those whose renewal is due at the end of June 2023 will be receiving their packets throughout April 2023. If your renewal is due in July, you will receive your packet in May.
Q: How long do I have to complete my renewal packet before being disenrolled from the Medi-Cal?
A: – 60 days to provide requested information to your local department of Social Services (DPSS for LA County and OCSSA for Orange County).
– Benefits are discontinued if no application was received by the renewal date stated in your renewal packet.
Q: How can I update my contact information?
A: – We strongly suggest you update your contact information online at Benefitscal.com.
You can also update by:
– Mail: Return the application in the envelop received.
– Call your local county office – Los Angeles County (866) 613-3777. In Orange County (800) 281-9799
– In-Person: Visit your local Medi-Cal office.
Q: I created a BenefitsCal account and linked my Medi-Cal case, but I don’t see my renewal available on my dashboard?
A: – It may take 24–48 hours for your renewal to show up on your dashboard after having linked your Medi-Cal case to your BenefitsCal account.
– If you have not received any correspondence in the mail about your Medi-Cal benefits, update your contact information.
Q: How can I return my Medi-Cal Renewal Form once I receive it in the mail?
A: – Create Online account at benefitscal.com and complete online form.
– By mail: Return your completed packet with all necessary documentation.
– In-Person: Visit your local Medi-Cal office or through an appointment with an AltaMed Patient Care Coordinator at clinic.
– Call your local county office: Los Angeles County (866) 613-3777 & in Orange County (800) 281-9799.
Q: How do I report changes in my household to maintain Medi-Cal Benefits?
A: – Changes can be reported in the Medi-Cal Renewal Form. You will have the opportunity to report if you had a change in income, pregnancy, new household member, and other areas that are considered for continued eligibility.
– Changes can also be reported to the local county office – Los Angeles County at (866) 613-3777 and Orange County at (800) 281-9799.
4. Additional Resources
You can visit the following links for additional help and information specific for your county and health plan. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services also has a BenefitsCal Guide, which has written instructions on the Medi-Cal renewal process.